Settlers first introduced Pinus Radiata (also known as The Monterey Pine) to New Zealand in 1859, and it accounts for nearly 90% of the country’s plantation forests—including the Kaingaroa Forest on the North Island’s central plateau. The raw material used in the extraction of our high OPC PBE is the bark of Pinus Radiata trees that are growing in large pine forest plantations in this region.
Growers of these forests manage them on an environmentally sustainable basis as part of the New Zealand timber industry, and provide a virtually unlimited resource for the bark supply that serves as the raw material for our extract.
The pine trees find ideal growing conditions in New Zealand achieving the highest average growth rates anywhere in the world—up to 60 m (200 ft). Here, due to the elevated levels of UV-B sunlight, the Pinus Radiata trees grow in a pristine environment for 25 to 30 years before being felled, and the bark is then harvested from the lower third of the mature tree trunk.
The uniform age of the trees and the choice of bark ensure consistency in the composition, and this minimizes any variation in the polyphenol compounds extracted from the bark. Through long standing relationships with our raw material suppliers we have ensured a constant and near-unlimited supply of premium bark. The exclusive supply of clean, organic bark and patented water-only extraction technology form the basis for our partner-supplier’s sustainable and environmentally friendly business.
For details regarding our extract supplier’s Quality Policy Statement (click here)
Our source production facilities are licensed by the New Zealand Food Safety Authorities.
Our high OPC PBE production voluntarily complies with current Good Manufacturing Practice standards*, undergoing the highest quality control at all stages of the process—from the selection and screening of the raw material to the final packaging of the extract’s finished powder into nitrogen-flushed, vacuum-packed foil bags.
The extensive QC program that guarantees the high quality and consistency of Enzogenol® includes:
- Microbiological testing at several stages in the production process, carried out by independent GLP registered testing laboratories.
- Regular pesticide/herbicide and heavy metal testing of finished product by independent GLP registered testing laboratories (to date, there has never been any opportunity for contamination from herbicides, pesticides or heavy metals in any stage of our extract’s production nor have they ever been detected in the product)
- Compound profile consistency testing by gel permeation chromatography (GPC) by in-house testing laboratory
- Antioxidant activity testing by NBT assay by in-house testing laboratory
- Finished product standardization by blending and GPC analysis